The complex of water works and buildings consists of a headrace diverted over a wooden sluice from the River Odra, a system of floodgates and buildings of the mill itself. These can be primarily divided into a mill area, an adjacent residential area and a small hydroelectric power station. The rest of the buildings, such as a saw mill, did not preserve in the area.
The complex was gradually expanded roughly from the 15th to 20th century. The first written mention of the so-called Oderský mlýn (Odra mill) comes from 1678 and it can be found in the land register of Bartošovice (Partschendorf) domain. The mill had been part of the local property before its owner, Countess Josefa Pachtová, sold it to the miller Ignác Bönisch (*30. 12. 1798 Kunín, †8. 7. 1870 Bartošovice) in 1828. This owner is also commemorated with a plaque placed on the front side of the mill building.
This purchase meant in fact a continuation of the history of the branched miller Bönisch family. Ignác himself was married three times and had 24 children. The Bönisch family belonged to the most important peasant families in this region. Besides the Oderský mlýn (Odra mill), they also owned Dolní mlýn (Lower mill) in Kunín and Velký mlýn (Great mill) in Odry. Thanks to marriages they were related to the Dittrich family from the Kunín castle or the family of Ignác Schustala, the founder of the car factory in Kopřivnice, later known as the TATRA car factory.
His grandson Alfred Wilhelm Bönisch was the last owner of the mill. In 1945, he was shot right on the grounds of the mills by the Soviet soldiers and so the long history of the Bönisch family in Bartošovice ended.
After the expulsion of the German population the mill and adjacent lands were entrusted to the care of the national administrator, first Mr. Pavelka (1945 – 1948), followed by Mr. Pečiva (1948 – 1959). In the 1950s, the mill was already considered inadequate due to its capacity and, in 1956, the flour milling ended here. Further, it was only used for preparation of feed mixtures for livestock. In 1959, the mill area became part of the collective farm in Bartošovice. In 1968, the mill was transferred to Vysoká škola veterinární (College of Veterinary Medicine), which still ran the production of the feed mixtures till 1972. The clapper of the mill finally faded in the next year 1973. Then the complex gradually fell into disrepair and it was only sporadically (due to frequent defects) used to produce electricity in the small hydroelectric power station.
In 1996, the water mill including the adjacent lands was bought by Mr. Vladan Mácha and his family based on the restitution claims. In 1997, Bartošovice was hit by a 100-year flood. The interior of the mill was also flooded, which worsened further the already bad state of the property and the flume, as well.